Coming on the heels of Jamie Oliver’s Food Revolution Day, it’s the perfect week to ditch the animal products, start to get healthier and likely drop a few unwanted pounds in the process.
Check out our top 15 reasons why you should start with World Vegetarian Week and go veg for a lifetime!
1.It’s better for your ticker.- Studies have shown that a vegetarian diet is the best possible for your heart health. According to Vegan Health, vegetarians have a whopping 34% lower risk of dying from heart disease than meat eaters. Worth the switch? Definitely!
2. It’s better for your blood sugar. - Surprisingly to some, the benefits of ditching meat go beyond improved statistics for heart disease: Reuters has said that a meat-free diet offers a lower risk of developing diabetes! Even the Mayo Clinic has acknowledged that a vegetarian or vegan diet can improve the quality of life for those who already have diabetes, helping to improve blood sugar control and insulin response.
3. You’ll reduce your risk of developing cancer. - Turns out, not only do animal proteins actually aid the growth of various cancers, but plant-based proteins can actually reduce the risk of developing certain cancers in the first place! In fact, lifestyle choices like going veg (NOT GENETICS!) are the most important in determining your risk of disease! Reason enough? Make the switch today!
4. It’ll make your bones healthier. - Contrary to what we’ve always been told, milk is not the best way to make our bones strong. In fact, dairy milk can actually cause osteoporosis by leaching vital nutrients from our bones. Not only that, there are actually delicious plant-based sources of calcium such as sea vegetables, spinach and many, many more.
5. You might just lose some weight! - Vegans are also at a much lower risk of obesity than non-vegans. Did you know that Tofurkey makes a pretty awesome vegan “pepperoni” pizza? You won’t sacrifice taste but you might just sacrifice some unwanted pounds in time for bikini season!
6. You can live in harmony with your ethical beliefs. - How many times have you looked at your dog and wanted to kill him and eat him? I’m guessing in the realm of never. There’s actually no real reason why we eat some animals and don’t eat our best canine or feline friends. Remember, chickens don’t come from the freezer section - they were once living, breathing animals that had to be killed for our plates! All animals deserve to be treated with love, compassion and respect and going veg helps you live out your ethical beliefs!
7. It’s better for the planet. - The United Nations has said that factory farming is one of the biggest threats to the environment we face today. In fact, eating meat is worse than driving a car! So for now, keep your beloved Toyota Corolla and pick up some Lightlife Smart Dogs instead!
8. It’ll save you from nasty contaminated meat products. - Remember the recent meat recall? Well, that wasn’t the first and it certainly won’t be the last! What about vegetable contaminations, you might ask? In fact, most contaminated vegetable outbreaks are usually related to run-off from factory farming of animals, so it’s actually bad for everyone! Ditch the meat now and tell the industry you’d like to keep that crap out of your body!
9. It’ll make your skin glow. - Little known fact: when you drop animal products, your skin improves tremendously! Speaking from personal experience, I now never worry about acne, discolorations, or any other nasty skin condition and I always have that “Veggie Glow.” Want it, too? Go meat-free!
10. Who wants to be eating slime or glue? - There have been a lot of nasty meat “products” in the news these days, including the disgusting pink slime and it’s closely related disgusting cousin “meat glue.” Don’t want that junk in your body? Go veg, now!
11. You’ll be in good company. - Carrie Underwood, Bill Clinton, Ellen Degeneres and Alicia Silverstone are all examples of the great company you’ll have when you choose to stop eating meat. In fact, the number of vegans has doubled in the last three years alone! Make some friends – go veg!
12. It’s good for the kids. - Worried about what’ll happen to the kids when you decide to start living a meat-free lifestyle? Don’t be – a recent study has found vegetarianism is beneficial for children as well as adults. So stop worrying, you’ll be giving your kids the best possible chance for a healthful life!
13. Pregnant? Good – meat is awful for the baby! - Did you know eating meat can lead to a higher stress environment for your fetus? In fact, eating vegetarian during your pregnancy can lower your child’s risk of heart disease and set them on their way to a healthful life!
14. You’ll start to explore delicious new foods and recipes! - There’s nothing better than exploring delicious plant-based recipes that are new to you, taste delicious, and really, really good for your waistline. Start here at Susan Voisin’s FatFreeVegan.com, and then run on over to Lindsay Nixon’s Happy Herbivore for some of the best vegan recipes out there!
15….Including sweets! – Ever heard of Sweet & Sara marshmallows? Or Justin’s Organic Peanut Butter Cups? If not, you’re missing out and going vegan will open a whole new world of delicious, cruelty-free and naughty sweets for you to try!
Make the switch today, go veg! Check out some of our tips for how to ease the transition!